Were you ever told to rinse your mouth with saltwater as a child? Perhaps when you lost a tooth or had a sore throat?
If saline rinses were a common remedy in your home, you probably remember the soothing benefits, like:
- Easing pain after losing or pulling a tooth.
- Reducing swelling of inflamed areas.
- Speeding up healing.
While you may consider saltwater rinses a “childhood remedy,” dental professionals agree that regular saltwater rinses can provide a wide variety of benefits for adults!
Top 5 Ways Saltwater Rinses Benefit You
- By defending against bacteria. When allowed to grow and thrive in the mouth, bad bacteria can lead to tooth decay, bacterial sores, and sickness. Rinsing with saltwater helps prevent the growth of bad bacteria in the mouth and throat.
- By protecting your gums. Not all bacteria are created equally. Saltwater contains healthy bacteria that can help prevent gingivitis by assisting in the breakdown of food and other particles that get stuck between your teeth. These particles can lead to gingivitis and other uncomfortable dental issues.
- By fighting bad breath. Because regular saltwater rinses help prevent the growth of bad bacteria and breakdown leftover food, they also help fight bad breath. They are also a great alternative for individuals who prefer not to use alcohol-based mouthwashes.
- By reducing inflammation and pain. If you’re experiencing a sore throat, pain from a gum injury or tooth loss, rinsing your mouth and throat with warm saltwater will help reduce inflammation, ease pain, and speed up the healing process. This is especially helpful during allergy season.
- By helping you save money. As opposed to traditional mouthwashes or medications for mouth pain, saltwater is incredibly affordable. If you have salt in the pantry and water in the sink, you have all the ingredients necessary.
See Your Dentist Regularly for Optimal Dental Health
While saltwater rinses can be a beneficial addition to your dental care routine, regular visits to your dentist are necessary for maintaining optimal dental health.
Contact your local dental professionals at Colorado Dental Group to schedule an appointment today. We are dedicated to maintaining your health and safety, so be sure to call the office to speak to a dentist today.