Healthy gums are great for your appearance and great for your health. Gum disease is starting to become more and more common. But what many do not know is that gum disease can eventually lead to strokes, diabetes, heart disease, and more. To avoid this, you have to achieve healthy gums and keep them healthy.
Signs of Gum Disease
First, determine the state of your gums. If you think you are suffering from gum disease you should visit your local dentist. Common signs of gum disease you should look for are:
- Constant bad taste or breath
- Separating or loose permanent teeth
- Gums that bleed easily
- Pus between the teeth or at the gumline
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
How To Achieve Healthy Gums and Keep Them Healthy
The most efficient way to achieve healthy gums is by practicing good oral hygiene. Practice the following steps to achieve and keep healthy gums:
- Brush your teeth. Be sure you’re brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Remember to change your toothbrush every 3-4 months for the best results.
- Remember to floss and use fluoride mouthwash every day. For best results, floss at night before you brush your teeth. Floss removes build-up and plaque in between your teeth that toothbrushes can’t.
- Change your diet. If you’re a coffee or tea drinker, try to avoid added sugar and substitute your normal drinks for black coffee and green teas. High fibered fruits, vegetables, and dairy products can improve your overall oral health. Try to avoid carbonated drinks, alcohol, sticky candies, and starchy food.
- Prioritize your regular dentist visits. Professional cleanings are the only way to remove tartar from your teeth. Dentists can also tell early signs of gingivitis and provide you with the best course of action.
Contact Your Dentist
If you’re anxious about the state of your gums, call your local dentist to set up an appointment. Your dentist will be able to assess your gum’s current state and give you advice that is best for you and your unique case. Colorado Dental Group is currently accepting new patients. Schedule an appointment online today!